Laser Eye Surgery India
What is LASIK?
LASIK is popularly known as Laser Eye Surgery. It is a type of refractive surgery for correcting vision (Eye Number) problem with use of Laser Technology. LASIK is the standard surgical treatment for vision problems i.e. near vision or far vision. LASIK is performed by skilled Eye Surgeon-OPHTHALMOLOGISTS.
Vision Errors- Why?
Cornea is a part of the eye that focus lights of retina to create an Image (Similarly to camera lens focus light on film). The bending and focusing of light is known as refraction. If the shape of cornea is not perfect the image on retina is unclear. These imperfections in the focused on power of Eye are known as Refractive Errors or vision errors. `
There are mainly three types of errors:
- Myopia or Nearsightedness: People who have difficulty in seeing Distant Objects.
- Hyperopia or Farsightedness: People who have difficulty in seeing Near Objects.
- Astigmatism is a distortion of the image on the retina caused by irregularities in the Cornea.
Eye Glasses(spectacles) or Contact lenses are used to compensate for the Eye's imperfections. Surgical procedures aimed at improving the focusing power of the eye are called Refractive Eye Surgery.
Laser Eye Surgery procedure (LASIK Eye Surgery)
In LASIK Surgery, precise and controlled removal of corneal tissue by a special laser treatment re-shapes the cornea by changing its focusing power.There are mainly four stages in the surgery as follows:
- Creation of a thin flap on the Eye.
- Folding the thin flap to expose the portion of Cornea beneath.
- Computer controlled laser re-shapes the Cornea.
- The thin flap is laid in to original position and observed for 3-5 minutes. Cornea bonds quickly and Eye does not requires stitches. The total time for surgery usually takes less than 30 minutes.
This operation is performed with the patient awake; however, the patient is sometimes given a mild sedative and Anesthetic Eye Drops.
LASIK is now days done by latest Wavefront- Guided LASIK technology in which an ophthalmologist applies a spatially varying correction, guiding the computer-controlled excimer laser with measurements from a wavefront sensor.
Who should use Laser Eye treatment?
- The U.S. FDA has approved LASIK for above age 18 years.
- Both Nearsighted and Farsighted people can benefit from the LASIK procedure.
- The person seeking freedom form Contact Lens or Eye Glasses.
- If , you are looking at improved life style.
Before Laser Eye/Lasik Eye Surgery
- Your Eye number needs to be stable for at least one year prior to Surgery.
- If you are wearing Contact lenses, stop wearing those 5 to 21 days before Surgery; please check with your Surgeon in advance.
- Stop using Creams, lotions and Cosmetics for a day before Surgery
- The patient typically is prescribed and Self-Administrator antibiotic drops before hand to minimize the risk of infection after the procedure.
- Understand risks associated with the Surgery.
Who should Avoid LASIK Surgery?
- If ,your age is below 18.
- If ,you have unstable vision.
- If ,you have history of dry eyes.
- If ,you are Pregnant.
Benefits of Laser Eye Surgery in India
LASIK Eye Surgery has advantages over other vision correction procedures are as follows:
- Relatively No pain
- Good vision usually achieved very next day
- No Stitches
- No major Anesthesia
- Very High Success Ratio
- Faster Recovery
- Viable & Cosmetic alternative to wearing number Eye-glasses or Contact Lenses.
After LASIK Eye Surgery
- Complete dosage of eye drops given by surgeon.
- Sleep more.
- Wear Sun glass as advised by Surgeon.
- Avoid Rubbing your eye could dislodge the flap.
- You should plan on taking a few days off from work.
- Wait for up to two weeks after surgery or until your Doctor advises you otherwise before using lotions, creams and cosmetics around the Eyes.
- You should also avoid swimming and using hot tubs or whirlpools for 1-2 months.
Laser Eye Surgery Success Ratio In India
The surveys determining patient satisfaction with LASIK have found most patients satisfied, with satisfaction upto 98%-99%. Or in other words the rate of severe complications should be substantially less than 1%.
Cost of Laser Eye Surgery
The cost effective treatment of laser eye surgery in India attracts a large number of patients from all over the world. The price of the laser eye surgery depends upon the laser equipment and the type of procedure required.