Robotic Orthopedic Surgery in India
What is Robotic Surgery?
Robotic Surgery (robotically-assisted surgery) is a minimally evasive procedure that aims to increase the capabilities of surgeons for performing open surgeries. Haptic (surgeon guided) and autonomous are the two robotic systems. The other type of surgery is passive surgery systems which has become popular recently with the surgeons. The surgery enhances the precision of the surgeons and uses surgical robots during the surgery like the active systems. They prepare bony surfaces in orthopedic surgery with greater precision.
Advantages of Robotic Surgery
Hip replacement and knee replacement procedures allow for a number of benefits like-
- The surgery has the potential for enhanced long-term function
- The surgery provides for more accurate position of the implant that may result in a more natural feeling after the completion of the surgery
- The surgery has improved safety and thereby reducing the risk of injury to the neighboring tissues
- The surgery can also be done in clean room which reduces the chances of infection during the operation
- There is improved Cosmesis and less scarring
- There is also less discomfort and post-operative pain
Robotic Hip Surgery
The persistent hip pain for than 3 months can lead to a permanent problem. Hip impingement, torn labrum and osteoarthritis or arthritis are the most possible causes of this problem. The various surgeries such as total hip replacement, arthroscopic hip surgery and hip resurfacing surgery, can be performed to remove the hip pain. The most successful orthopedic surgery is the modern robotic surgery.
The aim of hip arthroscopic surgery is to lessen the inflammation and pain in the hip joint that have been caused by wear, arthritis or injury. The two surgical procedures that are specially designed to repair the damaged parts or portions of the hip joint are Arthroscopic hip surgery and Total hip replacement surgery.
Total Hip Replacement Surgery
It is the most common type of orthopedic process. The surgery engages the removal of the head of the femur (thigh bone) and ball and socket joint of the affected area is replaced with the advanced artificial implants. These implants are exceedingly resilient and lasts for the patient’s entire life. The procedures used to lessen the recovery time are-
- Ceramic Hip Implants : The Ceramic hip implants are really smooth and are specially designed to lessen the wear and tear of the new joint.
- Direct Anterior Muscle-sparing Hip Arthroplasty : In this, the surgeon executes the surgery by working in between the hip muscles unlike cutting through the method.
- Short-stem Hip Implants : These have shorter stems as compared to previous models and are designed for small incision processes.
Robotic Hip Arthroscopy
This minimally invasive surgery is performed when there is a hip pain coming either from other tissues or damaged cartilage around the hip joint. The aim is to remove the debris from the hip joint and thereby also reducing the inflammation. The surgery can also ease painful symptoms of a large number of problems which is damaging the articular cartilage, soft tissues surrounding the hip joint or labrum.
Robotic Knee Replacement Surgery
The surgery is performed to relieve the pain caused by chronic knee arthritis or knee injury. The surgical treatment of joint replacement (reconstructive surgery) is performed to ease the joint pain that has been caused by damaged to bone and cartilage. Knee surgery options are-
- Arthroscopic Knee Surgery
- Makoplasty Partial Knee Resurfacing/ Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
- The knee resurfacing and replacement surgeries are primarily performed to remove the worn out surfaces of the knee with the help of latest and advanced implant. These are basically suggested for the problem of knee arthritis.
Robotic Knee Arthroscopy
With this surgery, the damaged knee is repaired with the help of minimum invasive procedure. In the surgical process, the surgeon uses fiber optic cameras and long tools to study the joint damage. The surgery involves few incisions which also decrease the recovery period. The loose bodies are removed from the knee joint and thereby repairing the damaged and torn cartilage and ligaments.
Makoplasty Partial Knee Resurfacing
This advanced procedure involves a robotic arm to assist in preparing and planning the knee to employ knee replacement implants. The procedure of Makoplasty can relieve the pain of mid-stage knee Osteoarthritis. Partial knee surfacing (unicompartmental surgery) focuses on the damaged parts of the knee and helps in providing a normal knee. The healthy cartilage, ligaments and bones are very well preserved. The surgery relieves the knee pain, makes the knee strong, offers natural knee function with better motion and alignment along with improved balance.
Total Knee Arthroplasty (Total Knee Replacement)
The serious degenerative ailments of the knee joint are treated with the help of this surgery. The advanced artificial joints are made to mimic the knee’s gliding and rolling motion. With a large number of options, the surgeon modifies the patient’s joint according to age, activity level and body.
Cost of Robotic Orthopedic Surgery in India
The healthcare facilities in India are growing at a faster rate which offers robotic surgery at a very affordable price, which is combined with latest medical amenities. The outcomes or results of the surgeries are very satisfactory.