Spinal Fusion, Decompression & Arthroplasty
What is Spinal Fusion?
The surgical procedure of spinal fusion is performed to correct problems associated with the small bones of the spine. The fusion is primarily done for eliminating the pain which has been caused by abnormal motion of the vertebrae. Spinal fusion is basically performed in the lumbar region of the spine and is also used to treat thoracic and cervical problems. Spinal fusion relieves symptoms of several back problems that includes –
- Degenerative disk disease
- Spinal stenosis
Spinal Fusion Procedure
The surgical procedure of spinal fusion takes several hours to complete. Spinal fusion involves different methods –
- A surgeon uses metal implants for holding the vertebrae together till the new bone grows in between them.
- Bone is taken either from a bone bank or the pelvic bone. This bone is used for making a bridge between the vertebrae which are next to each other.
Spinal fusion is used for treating fractures along with many other problems. It also treats the problem of spinal stenosis and age-related spinal problems.
Cervical Spinal Fusion
Cervical spinal fusion, also referred to as arthrodesis, is performed for permanently linking two or more adjacent vertebrae together. The spinal disc is present in between each vertebrae, that works like a cushion enabling some movement between each vertebrae. Usually the procedure of cervical fusion is done as spinal disc is resulting in many problems by pushing on a nerve known as a disc herniation. There are a number of ways by which cervical spinal fusion is done –
- In some cases, metal plates are screwed into the bone for joining adjacent vertebrae.
- A spinal disc can also be removed so as to fuse the adjacent vertebrae.
- Bone is taken either from a bone bank or from the patient’s body. The idea is to make a bridge between adjacent vertebrae.
- Sometimes complete vertebra is removed and then the spine is fused.
- Metal implants are also used for holding the vertebrae together till the growth of a new bone.
What is Spinal Decompression Surgery?
The term ‘spinal decompression surgery’ is basically done for different procedures that provide relief from many symptoms caused by compression or pressure, to the nerve roots or spinal cord. Thickened joints, bony growths, collapsed disc or bulging and loosened ligaments can narrow the openings of spinal nerve and the spinal canal, resulting in irritation. The nerve compression symptoms are –
However in serious cases, force or pressure on the spinal nerves can cause problems with bowel function or bladder, or can result in paralysis.
- Techniques for Decompression
- Foraminotomy or foraminectomy
- Laminotomy or laminectomy
- Osteophyte removal
Lumbar Decompression Sugery
A kind of spinal surgery, lumbar decompression surgery is performed for treating several types of leg and back pain that have failed to respond to other treatments. The surgical procedure of decompression is done for eliminating pain due to pinched nerves. While performing a lumbar decompression back surgery, a little portion of the bone over the disc material or the nerve root from below the nerve root is removed so as to provide a more healing environment and space to the nerve root.
Lumbar decompression surgery is also performed for treating spinal stenosis. Spinal stenosis is a condition where the spinal canal narrows resulting in more pressure on the internal structures. Numbness, tingling, vague leg pain over the posterior and anterior calves and thighs, are due to spinal postures which mechanically compromise the foramina and the neural canal.
Laser Back Surgery
A number of lumbar surgeries are performed that provides relief from the pressure which a piece of bone or a bulging disc is laying on the spinal nerves. Laser back surgery helps in relieving this pressure from the nerves while resulting in very little trauma to the spinal area. A very small incision is made and a special portal is inserted through this incision. Then a laser is used for dissolving parts of herniated or bulging discs. The entire procedure takes less than hour to complete and the relief from the back pain can be immediately noticed after the surgery.
Total Disc Arthroplasty
The surgical procedure of total disc arthroplasty is performed for removing painful degenerated disc. This degenerated disc is then replaced by an artificial mobile disc that imitates the movement of a normal disc. Through this method, mobility in the motion is maintained as compared to other fusion procedures where mobility is lost. Total disc arthroplasty is also referred to as cervical artificial disc replacement, spinal arthroplasty and disc replacement.
Who should consider disc replacement surgery?
- Candidates who are 18 years of age having skeletal maturity.
- Candidates who have been diagnosed with myelopathy or radiculopathy or maybe both along with the presence of bone spurs or disc herniation.
- Candidates require treatment at only one cervical level.
- Candidates whose symptoms did not improve even after conservative treatment measures like pain relievers, chiropractic care or physical therapy and exercise.
Procedure of Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
- A surgeon pulls aside the soft tissues of muscle, fat and skin. Windpipe or trachea is also removed so as to gain access to the cervical spine.
- Then the area where disc fragments are pressing against the spinal cord or nerve roots (neural structures) is exposed.
- The removal of bone material and disc is done from neural structures so as to provide more space (decompression and discectomy).
- The artificial disc is secured and inserted by using specialized instruments into the intervertebral space.
- The next step is to put the neck and other structures back into place.
- Finally the incision is closed.
Cost of Spinal Disease and Disorders Treatment in India
We are the best medical consultants in India provides low cost medical treatment in the world. If you are suffering from severe back pain and doctors have recommended Spine Surgery, one of the best options for you totreat spine disorders is at World Class Hospitals in India. Many patients travel from all over the world to get low cost Spinal Fusion surgery in India.